IPB
Custom Search

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Ashes Topics ONLY

This forum is relevant to posts pertaining only to The Ashes.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Go To The Land Of No Cricket For 2 Weeks, and look what happens....
jamstains
post Dec 8 2010, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 287

Cook, KP scoring runs for fun, Australia picking kids rather than players who've served their time in the state ranks, and dropping the wayward but ultimately wicket-taking Mitchell Johnson.

Oh. And England 1-0 up going in to Perth.

All this when I decided to go to USA for a wedding rather than Aus for the Ashes. grrrrr......
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shane
post Dec 9 2010, 02:12 PM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (jamstains @ Dec 8 2010, 10:54 AM) *
Cook, KP scoring runs for fun, Australia picking kids rather than players who've served their time in the state ranks, and dropping the wayward but ultimately wicket-taking Mitchell Johnson.

Oh. And England 1-0 up going in to Perth.

All this when I decided to go to USA for a wedding rather than Aus for the Ashes. grrrrr......

Just think mate you might have witnessed history....maybe even run into that porker Oprah Winfrey.

+Quote Post
jamstains
post Dec 16 2010, 01:44 AM
Post #3

It ain't over until the fat lady sings, though I'd like to think she's clearing her throat as we speak.

It seems for decades England fans have looked at Australia for inspiration as to how to develop top class cricketers, but it looks as though the ECB didn't - and just as well if you guys are reduced to picking 173 different spin bowlers in the last 3 and a bit years.

What on earth is wrong with Nathan Hauritz? Had to laugh when he was reported as having a garage sale of all of his Aussie kit last weekend. Poor kid must be wondering what he did wrong to be dropped below some bloke who turned his arm over in the local park last week. Even Jason Krezja must be gutted !

+Quote Post
Andrew Beacom
post Dec 17 2010, 04:30 AM
Post #4

Dedicated Member

Group: Dedicated Member
Member No.: 565

I use Willow.tv here in the US to get my Ashes fix.

As for Hauritz its obvious he is being punished by either Punter or the selectors. He is not great but he is better than most. Being a spinner under Punters captaincy isn't a great experience from the look of it. If we have to lose the Ashes then perhaps getting a new Captain and having Punter just go back to batting will help the side.

Batting and bowling aside the Aussies fielding and catching has not been at the level I expect. You can't afford to drop catches when you don't have great bowlers who can create a flood of chances.

+Quote Post
Shane
post Dec 17 2010, 12:53 PM
Post #5

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (jamstains @ Dec 16 2010, 02:44 AM) *
It ain't over until the fat lady sings, though I'd like to think she's clearing her throat as we speak.

It seems for decades England fans have looked at Australia for inspiration as to how to develop top class cricketers, but it looks as though the ECB didn't - and just as well if you guys are reduced to picking 173 different spin bowlers in the last 3 and a bit years.

What on earth is wrong with Nathan Hauritz? Had to laugh when he was reported as having a garage sale of all of his Aussie kit last weekend. Poor kid must be wondering what he did wrong to be dropped below some bloke who turned his arm over in the local park last week. Even Jason Krezja must be gutted !

Hauritz is probably the best of a bad bunch and considering he got 6-59 and made over a 100 runs in a recent State match....one can only wonder what he did wrong.

+Quote Post
Andrew Beacom
post Dec 24 2010, 01:03 AM
Post #6

Dedicated Member

Good win in Perth by the Aussies but the talk of a low and slow MCG deck are a worry. That sort of pitch will detract from the spectacle the Boxing Day test match should be.

+Quote Post
jamstains
post Dec 26 2010, 01:24 AM
Post #7

One each going to Melbourne. Punter's little digit and Jimmy's side strain are taking the headlines but the focus should be on Mitch, Hussey, Flakey and a perm of any 6 from English batsmen and bowlers.

Working tonight on a meaningless T20 match in NZ, but eyes will be on the MCG for what will be a great test match. Hard to see a draw as Aussie won't fancy a showdown in Sydney with Swann in the England ranks.

+Quote Post
jamstains
post Dec 26 2010, 03:19 PM
Post #8

The inclusion of Bresnan was a total cop out from the selectors, especially as they said it was due to avoid Finn getting fatigued - simply put it was because they don't trust the batsmen and wanted some extra insurance.

Great start from the 3 Lions though.....

+Quote Post
jamstains
post Dec 26 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #9

Quite straight forward this. Punter unlucky but no excuses for the rest of them.

+Quote Post
Andrew Beacom
post Dec 29 2010, 02:40 AM
Post #10

Dedicated Member

The pitch looks completely different to what England batted on once the English bowlers are bowling. The Aussies are completely getting outplayed in every department. I doubt it will take long tomorrow.

With the Ashes gone the selectors will come under pressure to change the team. In the top 6 Hughes, Ponting and Clarke are all under the gun for lack of runs. Hughes might be safe for Sydney unless Katich is fit again and they wont sack Ponting yet. So Clarke is probably going to be the sacrificial lamb so they can blood Khawaja. Since he was on standby he is the logical pick. Ponting will probably get Sydney as his captaincy swansong and then after that he'll either retire (doubtful) or have to be just a batsman. I'm not sure if his ego is up for that. Once the series is over they only secure players that could be Captain are Hussey, Watson and Haddin. I would give it to Haddin as we need the runs from the other 2 too much right now.

On the bowling front the injury to Harris and the need for a proper spinner in Sydney will cause problems for the Selectors. They should just eat their pride and reinstate Hauritz since he will also help out the batting. Hilfenhaus hasn't looked that good IMO but the Harris injury may give him one more game.

Looking beyond this series the selectors need to really start thinking about properly rebuilding this team. I like Steve Waugh's comments about picking younger guys and giving them time to mature and realize promise. I could live with that approach but I'm not sure if the over hyped media and supporters who don't remember pre-1989 can. If your going to get thrashed at least have younger players who will learn with maybe some vets for guidance. Having journeymen get thrashed earns you little return.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 04:37 AM