Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Icc Championships
Stirer
post Sep 22 2009, 02:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Dedicated Member
Member No.: 3

So the ICC 50-over ODI championships starts tomorrow (Tuesday) with a Saf vs SL game. This is one of those tournaments that the ICC cram in between a T/20 world cup, and ODI world cup, and ongoing test championships; all of which is intermingled with an IPL tournament and a champion of champions "club" T/20 tournament. Methinks that the world is becoming over-cricketed, and its becoming a money game and a player burn-out debacle. On top of this, the ICC is promoting more and more countries to cram into the already overcrowded "international" scene.

Nevertheless, the eyes of the world is on South Africa and it's two high altitude venues (Wanderers in Johannesburg, and Centurion about 25Kms away). At least the players wont have to travel around the country for each match - they can stay in the same hotel for the whole duration of the tournament. Some countries came around early to play a few warm-up games. I think only England and Aus have not tasted the conditions this time.

South Africa, probably the only side which as not played for a few months, beat WI; NZ creamed India, and SL easily beat Pakistan.

Whose playing? Saf, Aus, Ind, SL, Eng, NZ, WI, Pak. only.
The favourite? Saf - but Saf has been favourite before and the only ICC trophy it's picked up was a previous ICC championship about 11 years ago (when it was not favourite).

Watch this space.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shane
post Sep 22 2009, 09:00 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

These knockout tourneys can often see some rather surprising results. You'd think Saffer at home would have to be a good thing but tournament favouritism has often been the death blow for a team. Australia have looked good over the last few weeks but no doubt they would have to be getting tired after a few months in England as seen by their last match against the World XI.

Sri Lanka could well be a bit of a surprise packet.

Yeah you're dead on when you say we are now getting over-cricketed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)

+Quote Post
Stirer
post Sep 22 2009, 02:12 PM
Post #3

Group: Dedicated Member
Member No.: 3

Yeah! You're right. The South African World cup and the first T/20 WC were prime examples. Saf was knocked out on both. Didn't make the semis on the ODI WC and knocked out in the semis in the T/20 at home.

+Quote Post
wezwaz
post Sep 26 2009, 10:08 PM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,051

What's wrong with our one day outfit? They were struggling at 7 - 171 off 39 overs against a second string WI, not that the first team is much better. It took some big hitting by Johnson and Lee to get us to 275. Paine appears to be a pain, in spite of his recent 100 - too slow. Hopes is a useful cricketer, but hardly inspiring. He reminds me of Ian "the Freak" Harvey, except that Hopes is a better batsman. He seems to be a mandatory selection. Cameron White must bat top four or five if he's in the team at all and told to go after the bowling. I don't think he knows his place, or that the selectors have explained it to him.

We have the wrong personnel and strategy. Teams have to aim at 300+. Anything less doesn't cut the mustard on a regular basis. The selectors need to look at the other players in domestic cricket to find some better options. And where's Michael Clarke? Resting, I suppose. Fair dinkum, I wish our selectors and management would get their s..t together so that we become a formidable unit again.

+Quote Post
Shane
post Sep 27 2009, 06:47 AM
Post #5

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Apparently the Pup has a sore back after the "long" flight from England.
Paine....I like the kid.....has a lot of energy and the makings of a very fine keeper. As for Cameron White, I'd rather see him open the innings.

+Quote Post
Shane
post Oct 6 2009, 06:50 AM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

A good win for the Aussies in the trophy final. Looks like Bubblewrap is starting to live up to expectations nowadays.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th August 2014 - 01:11 PM