Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lacking Balance
PommyDave
post May 7 2009, 10:56 PM
Post #1

Dedicated Member

Group: Dedicated Member
Member No.: 1,151

I think we've a talented enough set of cricketers on our hands. The sort who, given a couple of years instruction and format and they'd challenge anyone.

But we're so far off being a good cricket nation at the moment.

Bopara is more a number 4 or 5 than a 3. Broad at 7 hurts, although Swann at 9 is strong. Prior's glovework is suspect. Cook hasn't got big runs for ages. KP is worryingly off form. Flintoff is a liability due to injury.

We'll likely beat the windies 1-0 or 2-0, then get mauled by what is an average current crop of Australians.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shane
post May 8 2009, 08:41 AM
Post #2

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

Your lack of confidence and it's associated bluster going into the Ashes Dave is very uncharacteristic of you......Just look at the Aussie lineup and it's recent performances.....surely you're not suggesting they are a serious threat this year?????

Sure, we will have a few of our better players back, but our batsmen have forgotten how to make runs.....Hughes is doing exceptional in County Cricket and he will be a big bonus....the rest of the top order has been on holidays for months.

The Poms would almost certainly have to be favourites going in I reckon. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

+Quote Post
Stirer
post May 9 2009, 11:36 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3

Never thought I'd see the day when Shane would tout the Poms as favourites in an Ashes series! What's happened to your beloved Juggerthingy, Shane? I wouldn't count this first test against WI that finished within three days. The way the Islanders played on the days, even Kenya would have beaten them. I can't believe the sloppy fielding and slovenly batting that they produced. Not trying to put down some great swing bowling by debutante Onions, but it was more than enough to make a WI supporter cry. Swan was a revelation. I think he's better than anything Australia has at the moment. Interesting play to open the bowling with him. I remember Australia trying that a few years ago (around Kerry Packer's circus time, I think) where they opened a second innings with two spinners using an old ball! (ball from the first innings). I don't remember what the outcome was, but I do remember that it was a "last resort" tactic that pi**ed off Geoff Boycott.

+Quote Post
Shane
post May 10 2009, 08:51 AM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Mike would you seriously say the way the Aussies have been playing in the last 6 months or so that they are Ashes certainties?

What happened to the Juggerthingy?.....A heap of retirements put paid to it that's what happened and since then the likes of Mr Cricket....Pup and Punter just haven't stepped up as expected.

+Quote Post
Stirer
post May 11 2009, 02:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 3

Shane, nothing's certain in cricket.

And don't dwell on retirements. Australia has always boasted about the depth of strength of your cricket, the fact that only having six first class sides breeds a strength that could easily comprize a second test side of equal strength to your "A-Team". Also, some of your debutantes have exploded onto the scene and taken to international cricket like a duck takes to water.

Your problem, I fear, is elsewhere. I don't think that your captaincy is where it was, and I don't think that your side is driven by the same motivation as in the past. Man for man, your cricketers undoubtedly have the talent and the skill to stay up there at the top. But man for man, I don't think your players believe that.

+Quote Post
Shane
post May 12 2009, 06:39 AM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

I think your view there is most right Mike in that it's in the head. But....again this goes back to those retirements.....some of the less established guys are feeling the loss and there is no doubt Pontings captaincy has been found wanting when they are floundering. When he had the advantage of having players like Hayden...Gilly....Warne, Ponting didn't really need to skipper the team with real tough decisions, those players knew their job and were able to transfer their success and confidence to the younger gen.

Now that they are struggling more often than not, Ponting to a greater degree seems stuck for answers. Before he could throw the ball to Warne or Pigeon and know they would step up to dig the team out of a mess or he could have confidence in Gilly or Haydo being able to drag back in the deficit. Those players made Ponting look a good captain...success wise that is.

It's certainly not skill the Aussie team is lacking it's an astute captain and motivator in the mould of Graeme Smith we need....someone like Shane Warne for example who seems able to instil great confidence in his blokes.

Our talent pool is not the worry...it's the fact Ponting seems like a fish out of water with his new arrivals.

+Quote Post
Andrew Beacom
post May 14 2009, 12:03 AM
Post #7

Dedicated Member

Member No.: 565

You mean like his astute decision to bowl himself or one of the other batters before a spinner. While you can't fault his batting skill he does not have the skill as a Captain to lead Australia through a transitional period.

+Quote Post
madclown
post May 18 2009, 12:10 PM
Post #8

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,194

and cry we did....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 06:52 AM