IPB
Custom Search

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Pakistan - India Rivalry

The animosity that often exists between India and Pakistan fans should not be used as the basis for launching any type of abusive attack on anyone who posts in this topic folder.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Aus Under The Hammer, spinners wreek havoc
Stirer
post Apr 23 2009, 12:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Dedicated Member
Member No.: 3

After a reasonable start, Australia folded once again to spin, falling from 90-odd for one to 168 all out. It could have been worse but for an effective last wicket stand. What's happening to Aus batsmen these days. They can't play spin. Boom-Boom Afridi boomed them out with a six-for - the best by a Pakistani bowler against Australia. Only Haddin, Watson and Hopes got starts - all in the 40s. This is not going to help Australia's ODI rating. I can't see Pak losing this match, and Aus will slip down to 3rd in the ODI rankings, behind India again.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wezwaz
post Apr 23 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,051

Look at the personnel in the team. How many of them can you class as "greats of the game"? Generally, to have a strong team you need a number of great players holding the side together and supporting the inexperienced players. Currently we don't have that, so that makes it difficult. Last night we had way too many bowlers: Bracken, Clark, Hilfenhaus, Hauritz, Watson, Hopes and Symonds. Could have easily left one of the four tailenders out to include another batsman. Selectors are chopping and changing, and not getting the balance right.

As much as I like Symmo, should he be there based on form? Probably not. I'd like nothing better than to see him go berserk and make a big score to prove me wrong. Now that I've said it, he probably will. What about Phillip Hughes? Has he already been classed a test player only? And the "Katfish"? He did OK previously. Maybe he could be given another go.

Saeed Ajmal - now here's another one of these blokes who bowls the doosra with a flexible arm. These guys cannot bowl that delivery without flexing their arms. Slo mos show it clearly. From what I can make out, the doosra inherently requires flexing of the arm to get it to turn the other way. All these types of bowlers, and that delivery in particular, need to be examined on a regular basis. There's something fishy about it.

This post has been edited by wezwaz: Apr 23 2009, 11:44 AM

+Quote Post
Shane
post Apr 27 2009, 10:44 AM
Post #3

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

As expected Ajmal has been reported by the umpires for his dodgy delivery of the doosra. Having watched him through 2 matches all the officials agree his delivery is as dodgy as a Murali stock ball. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
Stirer
post Apr 27 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #4

Is it just my imagination, but any off-spinner who takes wickets against Australia inevitably gets reported for chucking. What's different to these guys (Botha & Ajmal) from the guys who have already been cleared several times (Murali, Harbharjan and Botha-again). The only thing is that Australia doesn't have a bowler who can bowl a doosra in the first place; or according to some cricket writers, who can even spin the ball.

That's quite a come-down from the days of Warne & McGill.

I recon that they should allow spin bowlers more leeway, and let the game continue. All the most recent law changes favour the batsmen. what about the bowler for a change? Are they going to dig in to the fast bowlers too? What about the round-arm "slingers"? Where are they going to draw the line between under-arm and over-arm bowling as the slinging action becomes more pronounced. Some spinners are also resorting to a bit of a round-arm action to get their wrists in the right position .... especially the leggies.

+Quote Post
jamstains
post Apr 28 2009, 08:13 AM
Post #5

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 287

Wonder why they didn't complain about the Wheelie bin....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

+Quote Post
Stirer
post Apr 28 2009, 02:27 PM
Post #6

Clarke and Pakistan managed to defeat Pakistan in yesterday's below par score in a below par game.
Aus got a get-out-of-jail-free card.

It seems that the world has gone bananas against spin. Are they so busy looking for crock-arm doosras that they are not playing cricket?

+Quote Post
jamstains
post Apr 29 2009, 09:41 AM
Post #7

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 287

Haddin's dismissal was nothing short of playground.

+Quote Post
Shane
post Apr 29 2009, 09:55 AM
Post #8

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Stirer @ Apr 27 2009, 06:32 PM) *
Is it just my imagination, but any off-spinner who takes wickets against Australia inevitably gets reported for chucking. What's different to these guys (Botha & Ajmal) from the guys who have already been cleared several times (Murali, Harbharjan and Botha-again). The only thing is that Australia doesn't have a bowler who can bowl a doosra in the first place; or according to some cricket writers, who can even spin the ball.

That's quite a come-down from the days of Warne & McGill.

I recon that they should allow spin bowlers more leeway, and let the game continue. All the most recent law changes favour the batsmen. what about the bowler for a change? Are they going to dig in to the fast bowlers too? What about the round-arm "slingers"? Where are they going to draw the line between under-arm and over-arm bowling as the slinging action becomes more pronounced. Some spinners are also resorting to a bit of a round-arm action to get their wrists in the right position .... especially the leggies.

That's right blame the Aussies for it.
Spin bowlers have been given more than enough leeway for dodgy actions with the changing of the rules to make Murali legal...enough is enough and I think that is the tact the umpires are taking also.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th November 2014 - 12:20 AM