IPB
Custom Search

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Before Posting Read Below

New Topics in this forum will be subject to Moderator preview prior to being publicly listed for comment.

Some posted Topics have the propensity to cause an explosion of opinion or emotions amongst members and as a result, ANYONE who finds these posts offensive and or upsetting is CAUTIONED to avoid getting involved in the debate and or raising topics that are likely to stir disharmony amongst members in this forum.

Only topics RELEVANT to CURRENT issues will be considered.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Influence Of Off-field Behaviour, Warney gets the boot from channel 9
Guest_Finisher_*
post Jul 13 2005, 07:23 PM
Post #1

Guests

So Warney has just been booted from the commentator's chair due to his naughty behaviour with assorted laydeez.

What do you think about this, and how much do you reckon off-field antics should affect a player's career?

Being fired by channel 9 isn't so surprising as they are a business and there are plenty of other players past and present who can fill the role of commentator.

On-field is another matter though. I wouldn't want to see Warney chucked from the team due to his indiscretions. The job of a sportsman is to play sport, first and foremost. Back in the day the behaviour that almost sent Symonds back home would not have been such an issue.

Is the public expecting too much from modern sportsmen? How much of their job is to be a rolemodel?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Guest_Thorpey_*
post Jul 13 2005, 07:27 PM
Post #2

Guests

Players do need to be role models...but certain players more than others.

Warney is of course going to get more media attention with stupid tarts going to the newspaper saying he slept with them....whether it's true or not.

I think KP must watch his step now because he is the "saviour of English cricket" and will get more media attention then Freddie has done, and it is likely to be somewhere near the heights of Beefy Botham.....all depends on how this Ashes summer goes, but it wouldn't surprise me if stories came out about KP.

+Quote Post
Guest_Finisher_*
post Jul 13 2005, 07:39 PM
Post #3

Guests

Well with Warne and KP playing for the same county, KP has a responsbile mentor doesn't he? (IMG:http://abcofcricket.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
Shane
post Jul 13 2005, 07:40 PM
Post #4

Site Administrator
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Finisher @ Jul 13 2005, 07:23 PM)
So Warney has just been booted from the commentator's chair due to his naughty behaviour with assorted laydeez.

What do you think about this, and how much do you reckon off-field antics should affect a player's career?

Being fired by channel 9 isn't so surprising as they are a business and there are plenty of other players past and present who can fill the role of commentator.

On-field is another matter though. I wouldn't want to see Warney chucked from the team due to his indiscretions. The job of a sportsman is to play sport, first and foremost. Back in the day the behaviour that almost sent Symonds back home would not have been such an issue.

Is the public expecting too much from modern sportsmen? How much of their job is to be a rolemodel?

Warne signed a contarct with Packer that said NO ADVERSE PUBLICITY that might tranish his reputation. So, he deserves what he gets. The NIne cricket team has a pretty squeaky clean image, so the integrity of the position must be upheld.

What is also being kept VERY quiet is the fact he also signed a code of conduct or player behaviour staement amongst the team that says and don't quote me exactly...he will not engage in any public behaviours that are likely to bring the team into disrepute or cause adverse publicity.

So, with that in mind, the question is: Has he done this?

Personally, I don't think so, but technically he probably has.....But, would you toss him BEFORE the Ashes?

Yep, todays sportsmen should be role models and at least publicly lead very squeaky clean lives and images. The fact Warne conducts these horrid affairs in public to a degree, means he sets a poor example.

But, hey....half the friggin world is doing the same thing....so who are we to judge it.

+Quote Post
Shane
post Jul 13 2005, 07:42 PM
Post #5

Site Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Thorpey @ Jul 13 2005, 07:27 PM)
Players do need to be role models...but certain players more than others.

Warney is of course going to get more media attention with stupid tarts going to the newspaper saying he slept with them....whether it's true or not.

I think KP must watch his step now because he is the "saviour of English cricket" and will get more media attention then Freddie has done, and it is likely to be somewhere near the heights of Beefy Botham.....all depends on how this Ashes summer goes, but it wouldn't surprise me if stories came out about KP.

True or NOT....what a silly statement to make.

If it wasn't true...why would Warne admit it and further, don't you think he would sue the bum of those making such lurid allegations and the newpapers who print the rot.

+Quote Post
Shane
post Jul 13 2005, 07:48 PM
Post #6

Site Administrator
Group Icon

QUOTE (Finisher @ Jul 13 2005, 07:39 PM)
Well with Warne and KP playing for the same county, KP has a responsbile mentor doesn't he?  (IMG:http://abcofcricket.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

They are probably almost as bad as each other when we take into consideration the fact that KP introduced him to at least one of those tarts.

However, you can lead a horse to water....BUT...

+Quote Post
Guest_the rev_*
post Aug 10 2005, 09:23 AM
Post #7

Guests

but is KP married with kids and 35?

the rev

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th March 2017 - 09:40 PM