Advertisement

 

Shane Warne Sent Home for Using Banned Drug

World Cup Cricket News 11/02/03

Updated Report By Shane Dell

The cricket future of Shane Warne is in doubt with the news from South Africa, he is to take no further part in the World Cup and will return to Australia immediately. Warne today advised cricket authorities he had returned a positive result to a banned substance, when tested by the Australian Sports Drug Agency in Sydney on January 22.

Such a result will doubt put an end to the one day international career of Warne and may lead to further consequences or decisions regarding his test playing career.

See below for ACB media release, Australian Cricketers Association comment and statement from Shane Warne.

ACB Release

The Australian Cricket Board (ACB) today announced it has referred a positive finding on a test of a sample from Australian leg-spinner Shane Warne for a hearing by its Anti-Doping Policy Committee.

Warne told his team mates of the test result last night (10 February) and has stepped down from Australia's World Cup campaign.

A replacement player for Warne has yet to be announced.

Warne notified the ACB yesterday that he had received advice from the Australian Sports Drug Agency (ASDA) earlier in the day detailing a positive test for the diuretics, hydrochlorothiazide and amiloride.

The random sample was taken in Sydney on 22 January.

The substances for which he tested positive were believed to be in a fluid reducing tablet. They are not believed to be performance enhancing.

In line with ASDA's testing regime, the ACB and the 33-year-old player will await the results of a second test, otherwise known as a B sample before a hearing.

The hearing will be in Melbourne as soon as practicable. Details of who will conduct the hearing will be announced as soon as possible.

ACB Chief Executive Officer James Sutherland said it would be inappropriate to speculate on details of the case until the evidence had been finalised and examined by the independent Anti-Doping Committee.

Meanwhile, the ACB has advised the ICC of the situation and will apply to the World Cup Event Technical Committee for approval to replace Warne in its World Cup squad. It has asked the Australian National Selection Panel to recommend a replacement.

The ACB will ask the ETC later for approval for Warne to return to the Australian squad if the Anti Doping Committee hearing clears him of any wrong-doing under the ACB's anti-doping policy.

ACA Comment

Speaking from South Africa today, Australia Cricketers' Association (ACA) Chief Executive Tim May confirmed that he was aware of Shane Warne’s impending return to Australia due to a breach of the Australian Cricket Board’s Anti-Doping Policy.

“I have been in close contact with Shane and as with many other player issues, the full resources of the Australian Cricketers’ Association will be available to support and assist Shane through this difficult period,” Tim May said today.

“The ACB’s Anti-Doping Policy clearly defines the process by which a positive test is investigated and referred to hearing.

"The clear intention of the policy is to catch those cricketers who use performance enhancing drugs and as such we are hopeful of a reasonable outcome for Shane.

“We cannot comment further until the hearing process is complete,” May concluded.

Shane Warne Statement

"As James has said, I was shocked and absolutely devastated to be informed by ASDA yesterday that a test sample which was collected in Australia on the 22nd of January indicated the presence of a prohibited substance.

The full process of analysing and testing procedures are not complete until my B sample is fully examined in Australia later this week.

I am shocked because I do not take performance-enhancing drugs and do not condone them in any way shape or form.

I am proud to be in the shape I am in at the moment and that is due to nothing other than hard work and looking after myself with diet.

I did take a fluid tablet before my comeback game in Sydney which I did not know contained a prohibited substance.

The tablet actually dehydrates you and gets rid of any excess fluid in your body, and as I understand, it is not performance enhancing.

I have decided to return home in the best interests of the team in their World Cup campaign and to address the situation personally, which the ACB are very supportive of.

As I said I have never taken any performance enhancing drugs and am confident that this matter will be cleared up very soon.

ASDA has conducted random tests for a long time now in conjunction with the ACB and my previous tests have always come back negative. So will any future ones.

I have spoken to my team-mates, and they are very supportive.

I wish them luck for the rest of the tournament. Whether I play a part will be decided shortly.

Once all the testing and analysing has taken place there will be a hearing with the Australian Cricket Board's anti doping Committee.

Until then I will just have to deal with the situation as best I can.

 I would like to thank the World Cup squad for their collective support and friendship.

I believe that they have the talent and the spirit to retain the World Cup with or without me.

I wish them luck.

As James has said, it is not appropriate to go into further details at the moment and I apologise that circumstances mean that I cannot answer questions right now.

Cricket Today - Daily World Cup Updates

ICC World Cup 2003 Tournament Schedule

Cricket News

Other Cricket News - Streaming Audio Report - Up-dated Daily

ICC News

World Cup Betting Odds

The Ashes Cricket Series. Australia v England - Bodyline and Sir Don Bradman

 

Abc of Cricket

Cricket Forum and Cricket Discussion BoardAbout Abc of Cricket and its Cricket StaffContact Abc of CricketAdvertise your Cricket Related products on Abc of Cricket

 

Abc of Cricket Site Log